Nisqually Off Reservation properties and News

Please look at our facebook page:!/pages/Stop-the-Nisqually-Jail/216783311692402?sk=photos

The Nisqually Indian's are in the process of placing several properties into the "fee to trust" status. Our understanding is that once the land is free of  any restrictions and the Bureau of Indian Affairs looks over the paperwork etc. the land is then placed into "trust" status for the tribe. The tribe then can build anything at this location and NOT have to conform to any County hearing or zoning regulations.

The tribe has also publicly stated that they are trying to reacquire Fort Lewis Land back to the tribe.

What is an Indian Reservation?

An Indian reservation is land a tribe reserved for itself when it relinquished its other land areas to the U. S. through treaties. More recently, Congressional acts, Executive Orders and administrative acts have created reservations. There are approximately 275 Indian land areas in the U. S. administered as Indian reservations (reservations, pueblos, rancherias, communities, etc.). The largest is the Navajo Reservation of some 16 million acres of land in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. Many of the smaller reservations are less than 1,000 acres with the smallest less than 100 acres. On each reservation, the local governing authority is the tribal government.
The United States holds approximately 56.2 million acres of land in trust for various Indian tribes and individuals. Much of this is reservation land; however, not all reservation land is trust land. The states in which reservations are located have limited powers over them, and only as provided by Federal law. On some reservations, however, a high percentage of land is owned and occupied by non-Indians. Some 140 reservations have entirely tribally owned land.

From IRS.Gov

Whether a tribe operates its business either on or off its reservation, it is not subject to federal income tax (unless incorporated under a state charter, regardless of the location of the activities that produced the income).